Saturday, December 7, 2013

Even God is Single

I love the holidays.

Food, family, friends, gifts…did I mention food? Yeah, holidays are awesome.

You know what I don’t love about holidays?

The question. You know the one.

Are you seeing anyone?

You dating anyone?

Met anybody yet?

You’re going to be an Old Maid!

Tina gets it.

Okay, that last one wasn’t a question, but has actually been said to me by my Papa. He’s old, though, so I let it go.

Funnily enough, my family wasn’t too bad this Thanksgiving. Maybe they’ve finally given up on asking. Or maybe they’re just finally convinced I’ve turned into the crazy cat lady.

"Zazzy."
Truth is, I’m not the crazy cat lady. My cat doesn’t like anyone else (imagine that!), so I will never get to be that cat lady. It’s kind of sad when you think about it. Of course, that really just means that I’ll actually have to find a significant other one day.

One day.

I’m okay with that. Really. But in the meantime, I really really love being single. I love being single for a few reasons (which I will tell you about in due time, my precious), but they are probably not the reasons most people think, ie: partying, hanging out, doing stupid things.

Y’all, I get to do what I want all the time.

That’s not to say I don’t spend time with friends and family and work, but if I want to go to a movie, I do. Shopping? Do it. Sit on the couch all day and drink coffee and read a book? Done and done (multiple times). Take a trip to a third-world country? Did it. Twice.

But traveling and doing awesome things like not wearing make up or real pants are not the only perks that I favor, okay? (I’m currently sipping on a Woodchuck cider in an Avengers Tervis tumbler with a straw, I think a boyfriend would find that weird.) At this point in my life, I’m still learning about me. Yeah, I’m thirty and to some people that’s old, but statistics show that the majority of people are actually waiting until their thirties to get married. Science is letting us wait longer to have children (I’m adopting a child who is already potty trained). And, if you ask me, that’s a good thing. I remember being engaged many moons ago and thinking that the relationship I was in was so awesome and pretty and perfect, but it totally wasn’t. Sometimes I think back and just shake my head because I was in no way ready to get married at twenty-one. Now, I know plenty of people who did get married at that age and are in beautiful, thriving relationships. I’m totally happy for them. But I know that it’s not for me. Not yet.

I’m pretty content with working and focusing on being the best teacher I can be right now. Yes, I’m married to my job, but I’m okay with that because it’s the best job in the world. I like the cat and I like my family. I have some pretty cool friends and colleagues who keep me entertained and worry about my love life (or lack thereof).

I guess you could say I’m kind of...happy.

So, maybe I will be an Old Maid, but I might just be okay with that. I know that if I wait to find the right person then it will truly be right. I’m totally one of those people who believe that there’s some poor sap out there for me, but we just haven’t crossed paths yet. God help him, when we do though. 

Jess knows what's up. 

Or I can take a page from Will Grayson and say:
“I’m not asexual, I’m arelationshipal.” (Quote from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green.)
I’m kidding, obviously, but that would be a fun response next time someone asks if they can set me up for online dating.
Yes, you look like this when you try to set me up. 
But really, dating isn’t something that’s on the top of my list right now. Right now I get to focus on me and becoming as awesome as I can be. Unless, that is, this guy comes a knockin’. Then all bets are off.
 
God bless (Captain) America.

PS – The title of this blog is actually the title of a cute little coffee table book I got for a dollar a few years ago: Even God is Single (so stop giving me a hard time) by Karen Salmansohn. 

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome, Ashley Veale! I love reading your blog! You're super talented and this 40 something year old lady learned a lot from working next door to you for a year.

    ReplyDelete

Everything is (not) Fine

I just took my melatonin, so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Anywho. *cracks knuckles* Let's get started.  My God, teaching is...