Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fill in the Blank

Have you ever reached a point in your life and decided: “I’d like to do _________.”

What’s in the blank?

There is a ton, ton, of things that could fill in the blank for me. Here are a few:

1.)    Get a tattoo (Really.)

2.)    Buy a house. (Really)

3.)    Go back to school. (HAHAHAHAHAHA!)

4.)    Meet a nice dude who doesn’t mind if I’m a little weird. (See comment for #3.)

5.)    Run a 5K. (Seriously? Why, why, and why?)

Currently I have Dory’s song from Finding Nemo stuck in my head: “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…” because that’s how I feel about running.

Y’all.

I hate it.

I hate it with the white hot burning passion of a thousand fiery suns. I mean, that’s a lot of hate. So, why am I putting myself through this torture? Why have I made this “list” of sorts? Something big happened to me last month.

Yeah, I turned 30.

T-H-I-R-T-Y.

Th-th-th-thirty as a close friend would say.

It’s okay, though. I’m handling thirty well, I think. I haven’t jumped off the deep end or decided to do anything crazy. I don’t think running a 5K is that crazy. I think running is torturous and barbaric, but I’m going to push through because I’m no quitter! Really, you can ask my cross country coach from high school: I finished every race (always last, always walking).

I realize now that I should have appreciated how easy it was to run at sixteen. Running at thirty is…different. Things hurt that I didn’t know could hurt. It takes a little longer to get warmed up and even longer to recover, which was something I should have been prepared for. I’m not as spry as I once was. (Was I ever?)

But that’s not the point. The point is I wanted to do something that would be fulfilling and mean a little something to me. It’s just a bonus that I get to do it along side (via Facebook) some wonderful ladies who are also training and motivating me. Basically, those silly little updates I post all the time? That’s my lifeline. I need the motivation. I thrive on it. It’s the only thing stopping me from waking up and watching seventeen hours of NCIS instead of running.

Don’t worry, I catch up on NCIS every other hour of the day. (What? It’s summer and I’m old.)

I guess the point is that I want to do a lot of things, so this blog will probably be completely bi-polar and cover a range of different things that I do.

I want to read books that are so good I never want to read another book ever again.

I want to be a better teacher and show each and every child that they are loved no matter what.

I want complete a 5K. (I think I can, I think I can…)

I want to be a better follower of Christ and shine His light wherever it’s needed.  

I want to be a better: sister, daughter, friend.


I want to fill in the blank. 

2 comments:

  1. good luck with all of this Ashley! I enjoyed reading your inaugural post. I also started a blog this summer... It's a craft blog... I haven't exactly kept up with it.. I might make it a more random, whatever I'm thinking type of thing...

    ReplyDelete

Everything is (not) Fine

I just took my melatonin, so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Anywho. *cracks knuckles* Let's get started.  My God, teaching is...