Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Teachers Be Like...

I love the beginning of the year. Sure, it's sad to say goodbye to summer. Goodbye to books, my couch, and lounging around at the pool all day. Hello to alarms, drinking copious amounts of coffee, and lots and lots of paperwork. The beginning of the year is still so magical. New kids, new clothes, new supplies. It's like Christmas for me. (I really love new crayons. Crayola only, kthnx.)

The end of the year, contrary to popular belief, is not my favorite. Here are a few reasons why:

Beginning of the year: Supplies are plentiful! I have so many supplies I'm practically giving them away. You need tissues? I've got you covered. Glue sticks? Take mine! What? You need paper? Here, what's mine is yours!

End of the year: If the Hunger Games were real they would take place in my classroom and it would be a fight to the death over the last glue stick. Or the pencil with *gasp* the eraser still attached to it. Seriously, why do you pull the erasers off, kids? You're ridiculous. The last Expo marker. These things really happen, okay? I just can't figure out how. How did we go from "You need to keep at least three pencils in your box!" to "You'd better get that one up off the floor if you plan on writing today, pal", it just happens.

"That glue stick is mine, Peeta!" 

Kids, man.

Beginning of the year: Sleep. I love sleep. At the beginning of the year I try my best to go to bed at a decent hour and be on time for work. It's important for a teacher to feel refreshed when she has to deal with hellions students eight hours a day and to be prepared for the day ahead.


End of the year: Now, not only is it difficult to fall asleep, it's hard to get up, too. Like, I have so much to do but instead of grading papers I'm staying up reading because reading is always my top priority. (Always.) It's a vicious cycle, y'all. Go to bed late, get up late, traffic...and of course: coffee.

Beginning of the year: Oh, one cup will do.

End of the year: Can you overdose on coffee?

One cup is never enough. 

Beginning of the year: Always look your best! Shower everyday! Wear makeup! (Kids like it when they think you're pretty.)


End of the year: Nope

What? Is there something on my face? 

These things are partly true, because the end of the year is stressful and there are a lot of things going on in everyone's heads. I mean, hopefully. What's killing me the most of how much my kids get me, how I get them, and how I'm really, actually, totally going to miss them next year. They are quirky and smart and adorable. They are a thorn in my side and a piece of my cold, cold heart. (Kidding, it's warm.) It is taking all I have to be my best for the next couple of weeks, just for them. Because they are worth it. This has been my best year, Lucky Number Seven, and I'm sad it's over.

Finish strong, right?

My favorite version of "Eye of the Tiger". 

Nine days and counting, guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything is (not) Fine

I just took my melatonin, so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Anywho. *cracks knuckles* Let's get started.  My God, teaching is...