Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Do Something

There are some days that I feel completely uninspired. Days where I don’t want to leave the couch because that would require effort and movement and doing something.  See, I don’t always like doing things but I’ve found in my old age (THIRTY, man) that doing things makes me…happy.

I like to do things for myself a lot: reading, shopping, running, and movies. Those things are all well good but what I really mean by doing something is doing something for someone else. That’s when I’m at my most inspired.

When I traveled to Guatemala in 2012 it changed my life. That was the first time I really felt that I did something. Of course, spending ten days in a foreign country with only five days of clean clothes will do that to a person. I’m mostly kidding, because once you’re there, working with those amazing people, and seeing their smiling faces because they’re so happy you’re there…it doesn’t matter that you’ve been wearing the same t-shirt for two days.

Worth it. 
That’s what I mean, though. That’s the something you should do. Now, I don’t really mean you should hop a plane to a third-world country (unless you want). That’s a huge something that takes a lot of planning and, you know, money. It was seriously awesome, though.

I climbed a volcano.  Also worth it.
There are so many little things that you can do that can totally change someone’s day: buying them coffee, writing a note, a phone call, a text, even a smile could do that. It’s kind of amazing the way that works sometimes. Also, it’s a little crazy the way one small little gesture works.

If you’re thinking this is turning into a Pay it Forward kind of thing, it is. You want to know why?

Because it’s so easy.


Saying ‘good morning’ or smiling or even waving to someone is the simplest thing you can do. Sure, there are situations where that is pretty difficult, but even in traffic when someone has totally ticked me off I wave and mutter “Jesus loves you” under my breath. Okay, maybe that isn’t really doing something…but it makes me feel better and I don’t swear at idiot drivers.

Doing things and being kind to others is the most important thing we can do for people, in my opinion. Maybe I don’t always do something in the way I’m supposed to, but I try. I try in my classroom with my students, because heaven only knows what one little positive thing will do for them sometimes. I try with people even though sometimes you might think I’m bitchy, but that’s okay. (Just know that I won’t be doing nice things for you anytime soon.)

Imagine what it would be like if we were actually able to do good all the time, to have people see that good, and to pass it on?

Newsflash: IT WOULD BE AWESOME.



I love good things. Good words, good books, good runs, good friends, good drinks, good deeds. If you know me or read this crappy little blog you know I love good.

So, go do some good. Do a nice thing for a friend. For a coworker.


Just do something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything is (not) Fine

I just took my melatonin, so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Anywho. *cracks knuckles* Let's get started.  My God, teaching is...